Winter is here and soup is needed. I’m talking about warm and hearty soups. Yes, we need bowls full of flavor and love, sweetness and salt and goodness.
Oh look! Here’s one. I kept playing with it until I got it just right for you. We had to eat a few test pots. It’s cool, we don’t mind. Someone has to do it.
Have I ever mentioned that I really like sweet potatoes? I do.
They’re like friends that I like to play with all of the time and good things usually happen when we play together. This soup is a very good thing.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 Cups of Sweet Potatoes (cubed)
- 1 red pepper (diced)
- 1 green pepper (diced)
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 1lb of mild Italian sausage (use the meat of your choosing, chicken or pork or turkey)
- 6 to 8 cups of water
- 1- 14 oz can of corn
- 1 – 14 oz can of black beans
- Start this recipe by dicing up all of your produce. It will flow much more smoothly with that all taken care of. Peel and cube your sweet potatoes. You’ll need enough to produce roughly 6 cups.
- Place 3 cups of sweet potatoes in a pot, cover them with water and bring to a boil.
- In a separate larger soup pot drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once it is heated add the peppers and onions and saute until they begin to sweat. Next add the sausage, if you’ve purchased sausage links, you’ll need to remove the casing first. Cook until the sausage has browned. Now add in the 6 cups of water and bring to a boil, then add the other 3 cups of sweet potatoes to this pot. Reduce to a simmer, let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes soften. Add more water if necessary. Just make sure the ingredients are covered with liquid.
- Meanwhile, take the other sweet potatoes that have been boiling in a separate pot and put them into a blender with a cup of the boiling water and pulse until they turn into a puree. Spoon in more water if necessary.
- Take the contents of the blender and carefully add it to the big pot of soup. Stir to combine, then turn off the heat and serve.