But the inspiration is what changes from dish to dish.
This time it was a beautiful image of a green soup in a white bowl. It haunted me.
I wanted to make it. I think most people see food and just want to eat it. I do too, but after I’ve created it for myself.
This is one that I needed to make and I needed to make it soon. I couldn’t stop thinking about the green soup.
Here it is.
It has a bright and acidic flavor and the meat is super tender. The whole thing almost melts in your mouth.
Feel free to garnish with avocados, cilantros or queso fresco.
- 1 whole chicken cut up
- 3 cups of salsa verde
- 6 cups of water
- 1 bunch of sliced green onions
- 1 can of corn
- 2 cans of rinsed cannellini or white kidney beans
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Add a cut up whole chicken to a pot. Sprinkle salt and pepper into the pot. Pour in 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Skim any excess fat that comes to the top as it cooks. Let the chicken cook for about an hour uncovered. Then, remove the chicken from the pot and set aside to cool. Turn off the pot.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, pull the meat away from the bones. and remove and discard all of the skin and cartilage. Add the meat back into the pot and turn the heat back on to a mediium heat. Add 2 cups of water and the 3 cups of salsa verde. Stir. Let simmer.
- Add the beans and corn. Then, finish with the green onions. Simmer for about 10 minutes more.