I’ve always loved tomatoes and that’s no exaggeration. According to my mother, I’ve been craving them since I was in her womb. So when my friend Gretchen told me about a recipe that requires a hearty helping of diced tomatoes, there was no doubt that I’d try it. Her excited description hinted at the gloriousness, but I had no idea, they’d be so good.
I couldn’t remember all of the details/ingredients she told me but I got the gist, and that’s usually all I need. These meatballs are moist, flavorful and fabulous. They melt in your mouth. I made some for my cooking club and the women were moaning and shaking their heads.
“Ooooh, these meatballs!”
Here’s what you’ll have to do if you want to experience a little ecstasy on a plate.
1lb Ground Meat of your choice (Turkey, Chicken, Pork or Beef)
Salt, Pepper, Garlic
1 egg (per pound)
1 large can of diced tomatoes
1 Green Pepper
1. Place meat in a bowl and add all of the seasonings, enough to make the meat look “dirty” =)
2. Add the egg and mix with a fork until everything looks evenly distributed
3. Get your hands in the meat and make loosely formed balls. You’ll get 5-6 balls per pound
4. Top the meatballs with diced onion and peppers.
5. Pour the can of tomatoes over the meatballs
6. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes.
7. When you pull them out, they’ll be juicy and beautiful.
8. Top with a little parmesan. You can eat with garlic bread, noodles, or all by themselves.