I have something to tell you. It’s kinda sort of a big deal.
Well, if you like eating carbs and breakfast the way I do, then it’s a huge deal.
I love breakfast and brunch food and usually I will have my savory (sausages, eggs) and my sweet (pancakes, french toast) all at the same time, that’s what makes it complete. It’s all about balance.
Don’t judge me.
Anyways. In my entrepreneurial pursuits as a personal chef, one of my customers has gone Paleo. We are kindred spirits when it comes to food but then she starts doing this new thing where she’s asking me to make paleo dishes. I’m like, okay. She supplies the recipes, I do the work.
The thing is, these recipes are the B-O-M-B because they are literally blowing my mind, blowing up my taste buds, they are good. Shout out to PaleoLeap for the inspiration.
The point is, I made these faux hash browns for her using cauliflower and felt so good about it. I decided I can do this on a regular basis and have my hash and pancakes too with less calories. Winning!
The inspiration for this recipe is from Paleo Leap. I used chicken sausage instead of bacon in mine.
- 3/4 lb. cauliflower, chopped into small pieces;
- 1 large chicken (or breakfast) sausage link
- 1 medium onion, diced;
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika;
- 3 tbsp. water;
- 1 clove garlic, minced;
- Juice from half a lemon;
- 2 tsp. fresh parsley, minced;
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste;
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over a medium-high heat until crispy (about 10 minutes).
- Remove the bacon from the skillet and set aside, but leave the rendered fat in.
- In the same skillet, add the cauliflower, garlic, and onion. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until it starts to golden.
- Add the smoked paprika and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the water. Cover the skillet and cook until the cauliflower is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Return the bacon to the skillet.
- Add the lemon juice and cook for another 2 minutes; then remove from the heat and sprinkle fresh parsley on top.
- Serve with eggs, or as a side for any meal.